WM 5.0 activation
Rich
2006-06-11 01:26:01 UTC
I have 2 HP IPAQ 2495 s. I can't activate Microsoft Reader. It keeps saying
I have an older device that doesn't allow activation. These are brand new
with Windows Mobile 5.0
Brad Leyden
2006-06-14 02:07:53 UTC
Just to be different try to read a post by another person.
If you chose one that wasn't spam or Warez 4 sale you would have a 90%
chance stumbling into a person with the same problem as you. The general
idea is to leave a note for Christine - Microsoft Reader Team with a valid
e-mail (spammers love that too) and your make and model (as you already
have) and they will email you a file that should have been installed by your
supplier (HP).
--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E WGS84
with Windows Mobile 5.0
Christine
2006-06-14 18:46:04 UTC
Rich:

Brad is correct. Although just to get around the spammers you can send me
an offline email at ***@comcast.net with the same info Brad lists
below and I will provide you with the file.

Sincerely,
with Windows Mobile 5.0
_Lurker
2006-07-04 19:30:14 UTC
Post by Brad Leyden
The general
idea is to leave a note for Christine - Microsoft Reader Team with a valid
e-mail (spammers love that too) and your make and model (as you already
have) and they will email you a file that should have been installed by
your supplier (HP).
How about a supplement to the page where we download MSreader? It
could let folks can pick their make/model and snag the file they need.

Seems a lot less work for MS than mailing them out one by one. There
has to be a whole bunch of people that are unhappy with your product
that will never find their way here to find out it's fixable.
Christine
2006-07-05 19:39:28 UTC
Lurker:

As I have mentioned before Microsoft does not own these files and since we
do not own them we do not have the rights to redistribute them via our
website.

The good news is that many of the OEM's are now starting to provide fixes on
their websites. HP is one of the first have this online. You can find
their fix here:
http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&qt=oeminfo.xml&la=en

Sincerely,
CeeBee
2006-07-16 21:47:05 UTC
Post by Christine
As I have mentioned before Microsoft does not own these files and since
we do not own them we do not have the rights to redistribute them via
our website.
The good news is that many of the OEM's are now starting to provide
fixes on their websites. HP is one of the first have this online. You
http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&qt=oeminfo.xml&la=en
Sincerely,
Christine - Microsoft Reader Team
Sometimes I wonder what goes through software developers minds. If I look
at the content of this newsgroup alone, over 90% of all questions are
about failing "activation" on almost every device on the market, and
people struggling to have access to ebooks - products they bought and own
but can't use.

If I were the developer of a Reader that needed constant and public
begging for files to get the software working in the first place, adding
that "we don't own those files" while it concerns your own software, I
would be seriously starting to have my doubts.

In a sort of masochistic way I return each day to this newsgroup to
witness the continuation of a stream of new devices not working without
explicit support. It's kind of addictive to see that even people in
Microsoft itself seems to think this is a fact of life.

Not to mention the activation scheme itself. I have an old desktop, an old
laptop and one PDA without any hardware changes at all, and seemingly six
"activations" (as if the book is owned by my computers, and not by me) and
already I've run into microsoft servers running on microsoft software
catering microsoft OS operated devices not able to activate, or indicating
too many activations on one and the same "passport", In the worderful
world of Microsoft three is six and using software is endless tampering to
get it along and begging to use what you paid for.

But maybe I'm mistaken about having doubts and quite deluded, and I might
be quite alone in this weird world of DRM, seemingly developed to cater
freeloaders and their cracked software and files, and to punish regular
buyers with hours of begging and frustrations. It's a wonderful market
approach indeed.
--
CeeBee

*** The Cookie Has Spoken ***
Edgar
2006-07-19 21:32:05 UTC
Post by CeeBee
Post by Christine
[...]
Which is why DRM must die :).
_Lurker
2009-01-06 06:47:06 UTC
Post by _Lurker
How about a supplement to the page where we download MSreader? It
could let folks can pick their make/model and snag the file they need.
Seems a lot less work for MS than mailing them out one by one. There
has to be a whole bunch of people that are unhappy with your product
that will never find their way here to find out it's fixable.
OK. I can certainly understand the legal issue. Perhaps an MS page
with links to the appropriate page on the various hardware makers
sites. If that's a possible thing.

Most of these sites are complex to navigate to find the one thing that
one is looking for. When it may not even exist. But I would hope
knowing these things - specific to PPC - would be part of MSs bread
and butter. There is a good chance you folks get involved in things
that the causal browser won't find out about without a nudge in the
right direction.

In my own case, a Dell X30i, I'm out in the cold. Dell no longer
sells PPCs of any model and they have pretty much given up mentioning
that they ever did. It's a great product. I realize new hardware
will come along and sooner or later old hardware can't be brought up
to run new software versions, but we are just flat out in the cold.
Can't even buy a new one. I guess that's what makes some of us hope
MS will be able to step up, just a bit, to support the software after
the hardware maker is gone. It's not your job, of course, but you are
the only (wo)man left standing.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and thanks to the people who pay you for
giving you the time to help us out here.
MSReaderGirl
2009-01-08 21:07:05 UTC
Lurker,

Actually, Dell is one of the few manufacturers who do not have the missing
file issue. It is likely that you are running into another problem. Please
email me at ***@comcast.net with a list of the issues that you are
seeing and I will see if I can help get your device running with the Reader
again.

Thanks!
Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
2009-01-09 00:18:49 UTC
Request the Dell issues list and your resolutions remain here so we can
all learn.

TIA,
Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

Laura Rooke
2006-07-23 15:30:21 UTC
There is a fix that may apply here, at the HP site...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/23528.html
--
Laura Rooke (MVP - Mobile Devices)